The NSS unit and Eco Club of the College are engaged in regular green initiatives like plantation drives, soil conservation and environmental awareness programmes within the premises and also in the college vicinity in order to maintain a healthy and green environment.
From the Academic Session 2013-14, the College has initiated an out-reach programme for the neighbourhood slum dwellers.
Adult literacy programme in Peyerabagan slum area
- South Calcutta Girls’ College has adopted the Peyerabagan slum area located in the vicinity wherein the Adult Literacy programme was started in 2015. Our College is collaborating with Peyerabagan Basti Welfare Society which has been conducting this programme for the housewives.
- Our student volunteers participate in the programme regularly throughout the year. Every week, 2-3 student volunteers go to the Basti Welfare Society to teach these women.
- Our College library is also involved with this programme. Necessary books are provided from the Library.
- Adult Literacy programme has been undertaken to develop sense of social responsibility among students and to lend a helping hand to the under- privileged within our locality.
- There is considerable enthusiasm among the student volunteers to participate in this activity.
- However, during examinations, vacations and holidays volunteers are not available.
- The programme has been running successfully under the supervision of Dr. Mouri Majumdar (Asst. Prof, Dept. of Bengali), Smt. Anuja Basu (Librarian) and Smt. Sujata Chakraborty (Part time teacher, Department of History).
Certificate of Recognition: Social Entrepreneurship, Swachta & Rural Development Cell Institution
Last Modified : Wed 02nd September 2020 at 11:49:58 AM